Monday, January 12, 2009

Why We Do What We Do


From a Virtual Legal Assistant’s Point of View

Why Legal Virtual Assistant’s Choose To Go Into Business

“Virtual Assistants (or simply VAs) are independent contractors that provide support to attorneys and other professionals. VAs work from home or a remote office, and can help mitigate your administrative burden in the same way that an in-office assistant would. They can be particularly helpful for solo and small practices where the ebb and flow of administrative work makes employment of a full time staff person impractical.”*

If you’re reading this, you have probably already considered hiring a Virtual Legal Assistant. You’ve covered the why’s,” the potential cost advantages, and the possible risk of breaching client confidentiality sending documents via the internet and you have done your research.

So, what’s in it for the Virtual Legal Assistant?

I’ve worked at a few law firms over the past 20 years and have enjoyed the experiences in most cases. Of course, there has been the “bad fit” as well. I equate working with a new attorney like dating; you have to test the waters and see if personalities mesh. Working as a Virtual Legal Assistant, I find there is no obligation if there is a conflict in work ethics or personalities. One size does not fit all and I can come to a mutual agreement with the attorney I’m contracting with that our relationship is not going to work (which hasn’t happened, yet).

I am confident in my experience and knowledge and therefore work independently without eight-hour a day supervision.

I am going to work hard for the attorney I am contracting with to make us both look good to the attorney’s client. I also get the satisfaction of a job well done and repeat business.

Last, but certainly not least, there are no interoffice politics; no distractions. How many attorneys have had to deal with staff members that don’t get along? There’s almost no way of avoiding it in any size law firm. I have found that there will always be that secretary, that paralegal or that bookkeeper that has to stir the pot or will become the office gossip. I never played the inter-office politics very well and working for myself, I find it such a relief that time is not wasted on those watercooler moments. Working remotely, I arrive at my office ready to get the job done!

I truly enjoy working as a Virtual Legal Assistant and find that the attorneys I contract with find the experience to be an asset to their practice.

If you have further questions, please visit my website: http://www.i-administrative.com/. If you would be interested in attending a webinar to learn more about legal virtual assistants, please contact me at mgr@i-administrative.com.


Resources
*ABA Site-tation Article

Visit my website at http://www.i-administrative.com/

No comments: